Skip to main content

Take Steps, Be Heard

Erm... just saw that typo. Minor mistake. They still do great work.
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America's Take Steps walk at Soldier Field in Chicago. Our team, the Incrohnables, led by the wonderful Angela, walked along the Chicago lake front with hundreds of others in support of further research into the cause of, and a cure for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

While I have some issues with the walk, (the talk of "overcoming" disease that seems to crop up with these events is always a little strange... although I totally understand that it comes from a place of encouragement and caring) I don't want to talk about that right now. What struck me most as I walked alongside this incredibly diverse group of people, each in some way affected by IBD, was the importance of community and a support system.

Almost everyone there, as far as I could tell, walked with a team of people. Some small, some large, almost all of them (including the Incrohnables) wearing team shirts. The shirts, some of which made jokes like the team sporting shirts with picture of a toilet with the words "Sh!* Happens" written underneath, some dedicated to the memory of loved ones lost to IBD, each showed just how necessary a support system is both for IBD patients and for their family and friends.

The experience of living with chronic disease can be extremely alienating. It is such an internal experience, and it can be really hard to verbalize such an experience. However, I feel that the importance of the support of family and friends can not be underestimated in these moments of extreme isolation.
In my experience, it is impossible to get through life in general and especially through flares without someone around to lean on. It's little clichéd, I know. Doesn't make it less true.

The second thing that struck me, especially when walking behind the team whose shirts were dedicated to a lost loved one, was the toll disease takes on those closest to us. I know I often forget this. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the idea that my disease is my issue. It is easy to forget the fact that my disease effects those people I depend on most in very different, but no less real, ways. This is a really complicated area. Although it is easy to know, intellectually, that my body is my own problem, human relationships are so much more complicated than that. My family and some of my closest friends have seen me at my absolute lowest, and while they never really tell me just how hard that was for them to see, I know from personal experience that witnessing someone you love hit rock bottom ties you to them in an entirely unique way. You feel guilt and sorrow, and you suddenly feel a responsibility for their emotional and physical well-being. I do not really think there is anything to be done about these feelings, they just are. But I feel like, as the one with the disease, it is important to acknowledge just how much it means to me that they were/are there for me, especially when I cannot be there for myself.

Maracas!!

Comments

  1. hi maggie
    i dont know if you remember me, angie bridger, but i encourage you to keep going for your dreams despite physical obstacles, as i see youve been doing. i am proud to see who youve become. only you determine your boundaries in life. take care..angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    Of course I remember you! Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate it.
    You take care too,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelming Nuance - Dancing Crohn's Disease

Below is small segment of my Dance Studies Research Project, "Cripping Dance: Radical Representations of the Disabled Dancing Body." It's the bit I wrote about my own work, Overwhelming Nuance (excerpted below), which, as you will see, was inspired by the feelings of denial that so often accompany disease.  Nearly four years after I was diagnosed with Crohn's, it flared massively. Lost in the idea that "my disease will not define my life", I ignored for months the signs of the looming crash. This breakdown forced me to come to terms with the reality of my disease. I suddenly understood that the idea that the mind might overcome the body just supported the willful denial of my disease. After this experience, determined to force an openness about disease in my own life, I claimed disability as part of my identity and choreographed my own "crip" coming out.

The issue with "mind over matter"

I think about this pretty constantly. Is "mind over matter" really a thing? Is it really possible to outsmart your body? If so, is this a useful tool? Or is it a harmful lie? Is it just kind of a white lie? Also, (and this is what the whole thing really boils down to for me) is the mind actually separate from the body? Are we our bodies or are we our minds? Do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Or are the mind and the body actually one and the same? My opinion on this subject has changed drastically and regularly over the years. Early on, right after my diagnosis, I was firmly ensconced in the pro-mind-over-matter camp. Without ever thinking about an alternative, ironically. Actually, this started long before I was diagnosed. For at least a year leading up to my official diagnosis, I experienced intense health issues and paid very little real attention to them. I just kept on going as best I could, thinking these symptoms would go away eventually. This, obviously, did n

Chronic Overshare

Every two weeks I take my Humira shot. No big deal. But, a couple days afterward the most wonderful thing happens. I poo. I mean, I take a dump . It's awesome. The thing is, I crap constantly. All the freaking time. Just not like this. This is one of those rare, deeply satisfying, glorious dumps. And I get to look forward to it every two weeks. It's a major source of joy in my life. And what's my immediate reaction every two weeks? What is the first thing I want to do as I saunter triumphantly from the bathroom? I want to tell people. I actively seek out someone to inform of the magnificent crap I just took. I'm genuinely disappointed if no one's around. My poor roommates.